Sunday, January 20, 2008

How we got Baby Will


I realized after my reflections post (thanks to Heidi) that even though I talked about Will's birth incessantly for about a month (and frequently thereafter), there might be a few people that haven't heard the story. My apologies to all who are sick of hearing about this...just stop here.


Timeline, morning of June 4, 2007:

7:30ish - Wake up. Mild, irregular contractions.
8:00 - Go to Macey's before Mike has to leave for work (so I can leave Sam with him).
9:30 - Arrive home, put groceries away. Clean up a bit.
10:00 - Arrive at Lon & Grace's, where Sam will be staying while I'm in the hospital. Take pictures, chat, not in much of a hurry.
10:20 - Arrive at the hospital. Not admitted, dilated only to a 3. Contractions 1 minute apart, starting to get intense.
11:05 - Nurse says, "I talked to your doctor and he said you need to walk for 2 hours."
Becky says, "You're kidding."
Nurse says, "No. If you can't stand it, come back."
(Becky learns from this experience that some nurses cannot be trusted, and should have asked for the doctor to check himself)
11:15 - Start walking (it took 10 minutes to get dressed). Contractions 30 seconds apart, very intense. Leave labor and delivery area, go outside. Contractions so painful that walking, talking, breathing, thinking all impossible. Everyone looks at me like, "Crazy woman...you're at the hospital, go inside!"
11:30 - Back at labor and delivery.
Becky says, "I'm going to die."
Nurse (looking very skeptical) says, "Let's see if we can get you back in the room."
Good Nurse enters the scene, waits for me to have a contraction, then helps me back to the bed.
11:45 - After 15 more minutes of utter misery, finally admitted.
11:47 - In labor and delivery room (in my case just a delivery room)
11:50ish - Water breaks. Becky says, "My water just broke." Good Nurse checks to see how far I'm dilated and says (sounding panicky), "You're complete. You're completely dilated!" Good Nurse then starts punching the emergency button yelling for more nurses to get in there, the baby's coming.
11:55 - There are now about 5 nurses (didn't stop to count) running around the room. Good Nurse is telling me not to push (ha), and helping me breathe through the contractions. Mike asks if I can have drugs and Good Nurse (probably stifling a laugh) says no, no time.
12:00 - Doctor finally comes in, tells me not to push.
12:05 - Welcome baby Will!
12:10 - Give me drugs

2 comments:

Us said...

Good ending! That's one of those stories that hopefully made the doctor learn that not all moms-to-be are created equal.

Tawna said...

Wow Becky, that is incredible. My sister-in-law had a similar experience. Each child seems to come faster. Her last was 1/2 hour of labor.
I'm so glad that you found our blog! I actually found yours awhile ago and didn't say anything because I wasn't sure if you would remember me. Derek and I would love to come to dinner anytime. Let us know what we can bring! I believe that Mike has my phone number!