Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Bread


Kelly Myers Basic White Bread

(Note: He leaves the recipe fairly open-ended, so I'll list everything how I did it)


1 T active dry yeast

1/2 c warm water

1/3 c plus 1 T dry milk powder

2 T sugar

2 T Crisco

2 1/2 t salt

6 to 7 c bread flour (to make a firm dough) *All I had was all-purpose and it worked great

2 c warm water


Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. In mixer bowl add milk powder, sugar, Crisco, salt, and flour. Add yeast mixture and water and mix to form a dough. Let dough sit 10-15 minutes to let the flour absorb as much moisture as possible. Knead the dough for 10 minutes (or 5 minutes in the KitchenAid), adding flour or water as needed to make the dough smooth and elastic. [I start with 6 cups of flour in the bowl, and then add about 3/4 c to make the dough the right consistency.] Place in lightly oiled bowl (I spray mine with Pam), and keep covered until the dough has doubled in volume. Punch down, divide in half, and form into two loaves (use the roll out and roll up method). Place in greased bread pans and cover (I haven't covered mine for this part and they're fine). When dough has doubled in volume bake in a 375-400 degree oven (I go with 350). Bake 30 to 35 minutes until deep brown in color and sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from oven and pan immediately. Cool on wire rack. Do not cover until cool. Makes two loaves.


I love this bread! It keeps well in a bread bag on the counter. Makes great sandwiches!


0 comments: