Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Amazing Heritage

On Sunday I gave a YW lesson on heritage. I shared something from my heritage that is very special to me. [Preface: Mike's ancestor William Clayton (author of Come, Come Ye Saints, & Will's namesake) served a mission in England.] My ancestors William and Jane (Johnston) Black had moved from Ireland to England, and were listening to the Mormon missionaries preach in someone's cellar. William and Jane believed the missionaries and were baptized...by Elder William Clayton!

They immigrated to America and crossed the plains to Utah. Jane Johnston Black is my hero! I can't wait to meet her some day. There are lots of fantastic stories about her and her amazing courage, but my favorite was her conversation with a mob member. The mob militia was disarming the Saints, and the Captain rode up to her and asked if she had any firearms concealed on her. She drew a small six-shooter from her bosom and said, "Do you want it?" "Indeed I do," was the reply. "Captain, I am serving notice on you that I intend using this before giving it to you. Now do you want it?" "I guess not," he replied, and rode away.

Another time she was digging up some guns she had buried under a wagon. Several men on horseback rode up and asked what she was doing. She smiled and replied, "You know we Mormons have the power to resurrect. I am now in the act of resurrecting." The leader of the mob laughed and said, "She is only a crazy Irish woman. Let us be moving."

There are more stories of encounters with Indians too. She was so amazing!

She was also a noted obstetrician (delivering nine in one night...the night after the six-shooter incident) and well known for her medical services. She nursed President John Taylor back to health after he was shot in Carthage Jail with Joseph and Hyrum Smith. Pres. Taylor is also my ancestor on my mother's side (Jane is on my father's side).

I'm in awe when I read the stories of my ancestors, and I feel so blessed to have such an amazing heritage.

3 comments:

Us said...

It's such a small world, isn't it? Somewhere in church history, I'm sure my ancestors crossed paths with yours too.

Christine said...

I cannot believe that William Clayton baptized your ancestors. That is really neat

Stephanie and Paul said...

if you ever have a girl you should name her jane. also i think it was your destiny as her descendent to work with guns.