Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Sam's Letter

The other night Mike and I went to his 10 high school reunion. Who puts the buffet away at 8:00? I was going to go get another plate (because it was darn expensive), but when I turned around it was gone. Very sad. Grandma Grace came and babysat, and Sam dictated a letter to her for Jane (Mike's little sister serving a mission in Toronto, Canada). She had us laughing pretty hard when she read it to us. My notes of explanation are in {}.

  • 21 June 2008

    Dear Jane,

    Following letter dictated to Grandma Grace by Samuel Greer Clayton, age 3:

    I am very excited. I watched “Bob the Builder” today. Playing baseball is exciting too. I did something exciting at the baseball game inside. All those red and blue bats. You hit balls with bats. I didn’t really get a treat. There wasn’t any candy there. Hit the ball too. Red light, green light too. {Baseball was inside a gym, there was no candy there, and for the last activity they played Red Light, Green Light.}

    Daddy doesn’t have any tires yet. He has feet. He’s not a machine yet. He’s a human.

    Will is not a machine, and he’s a baby.

    Mom is not a big machine like (machine names Grandma doesn’t recognize {he named machines from Bob the Builder}). She’s a big human like my Dad.

    You should go to your parent’s house with Jesus, because Jesus is a good guy.

    Papa is a human and not a machine and not a book. Papa loves me.

    Osie plays with me, but not today. Osie misses me, and I like Osie a lot. I think about Osie a lot.

    Love, Sam

    Description of pictures for Jane:

    Black and green: Good job wall
    Green: Picture of my friends. They don’t talk because they aren’t human, and they don’t have faces either.

1 comments:

Us said...

Kids really DO say the darnedest things. I especially liked the part about his dad not being a machine yet. That really threw me off until I read your explanation of him naming the characters on Bob the Builder.