Thursday, September 4, 2008

Huntington Beach

We had a crazy trip to Huntington Beach last week. Of the four of us, Mike was the only one that didn't get sick. I threw up on both flights. The first time we had already landed, so everyone was standing in the aisle waiting to get off. Luckily Grace was with me, so she held a screaming Will while I threw up in the barf bag. We were quite a show for the 20 or so people watching. On the flight back I threw up on the descent, so at least everyone was still seated. Will fell asleep for most of the flight (proof that prayer works!), so at least I didn't have to deal with a wiggle worm while I felt awful. He was awake when I was throwing up, but at least we were almost done.

Will started teething the next day, and I just happened to pack a new bottle of infant ibuprofen. Perfect! Except that it made him break out in a rash. Which gave him a severe diaper rash too. Because he also got diarrhea. And a two day fever. I stayed home with Will the day everyone else went to Disneyland. I guess I had my own little Disneyland. Will slept most of the day, so I watched a movie on Mike's laptop and read my book.

We went to Disneyland again Friday evening. We'd been there for about 2 1/2 hours when Sam got sick and threw up all over himself. He felt awful and we didn't have a change of clothes, so we just left. I went on one ride. Sam went on three. Plus we had to battle the labor day crowd.

Other than that, we really did have a lot of fun. I didn't get to do much since Will was sick for two full days, but what I did get to do was great. And Mike and I got to go on a date without the kids too. It was about the third most expensive date we've ever been on since we started dating. All we did was dinner and a movie, but everything is so much more expensive out there (except for gas). $20 just for the movie.

Sam had lots of fun at the pool. Mostly when Mike threw him in the air as high as he could.
Lon & Grace's condo is gorgeous! It's in a beautiful gated community, and everything is immaculate. The pool was great. They even had an area off to the side of the pool where you could grill (two grills, actually), and the countertops were granite tile. So nice.
Will spent about 10 minutes in the water before he was freezing and wanted to get out. I had enough time to run back and get his hat and take a couple of pictures. I never did make it in to the pool.
This is the private courtyard the condo shares with the other surrounding units. The front door is behind the plant in the middle of the picture. Will was all excited about the fountain, but we were done swimming, so I took him inside.


From what we could figure, every Tuesday they block traffic from Main Street for vendors to come and sell whatever. Mostly food. There were also a bunch of street performers. This guy is ranked #1 in the US and #2 in the world for unicycling. He had just competed in Denmark. Sam loved watching him.
The twelve foot unicycle was pretty impressive. Yes, he juggled while riding a 12 foot pool on a wheel.



The first time Sam went to Disneyland was great. He went on lots of rides, gave Goofy a high five, and got to ride on a boat! He's always liked pirates, but apparently there's a Pirates of the Caribbean ride, and that made him a lot more interested. And Papa taught him how to say some pirate words. Now all he wants to do is have sword fights.

Mike on his way out to surf. There was a group of swimmers close to him in the water, so the lifeguard came out in his fancy truck and told them to come closer to shore (they were too far out). The Huntington Beach lifeguards have their own reality show, so they have these fun little trucks. We saw them filming a couple of times. The last day we were there we saw a little sign on a random tree that said something about a show being filmed on the beach, and your presence is your consent to be on tv.

The HB pier at sunset.
By Friday Sam was pretty well spent. I got him ready to go to the pool with Mike, but before they could leave he fell asleep on the floor. He got his blanket, wrapped himself up, and zonked out.
Will's favorite part of going to California was swiffering the floor.

1 comments:

Adam and Tami said...

Looks like you guys had a great time, I mean other than being sick and all.