Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Boys are Pirates

Sam frequently reminds us that boys are pirates and girls are princesses. This is not something we've taught him, but he's adamant. His cousin Osie LOVES to be a princess, which is probably why Sam is so firm in his opinion. Osie is, after all, a girl. We were at my mom's house a couple of weeks ago, and they have some really fun toys. When you shake the little pirate sword it makes a noise.Sam just said to me, "I don't like to be a princess, not at all. Boys don't like to be princesses, only girls do...huh?" You know all that nature vs. nurture stuff? Garbage. Sam has never ever been interested in dolls, pink, or anything else that might be remotely related to girls. He's been exposed to it a lot, but he just doesn't want anything to do with it. He loves pirates, trains, trucks, cars, gross noises, throwing stuff, bugs, and most other typical boy stuff. He's all boy. Will, thus far, is the same as his brother. I realize that boys can like girl stuff and vice versa, but I think kids just like what they like. It's not because we trained him to like boy stuff, he just prefers it. The feminists are wrong.

*Mike wanted me to add that his very, very liberal brother (who used to buy into nature vs. nurture) is now a firm believer that girls like girly stuff and boys like boy stuff. Just because it's how they are. I have one niece that likes to be a princess and a pirate, but all the other girls in the family are very girly. All the boys are very boyish. Just like men and women. Not the same.

2 comments:

Glazier5 said...

I agree with you, too!

Kimbur said...

Are you talking about Adelle? Because I completely agree with you! I am as girly as they come and my oldest daughter is nothing like me. So it can work both ways. She is definitely a girl, but loves the boy stuff too, and that has NOTHING to do with me!