Sunday, February 1, 2009

2 Sleeping Babies

I have 2.3 seconds...because I have two sleeping babies and Mike & Sam are at church. That's right, I now have TWO babies! Molly came 2 1/2 weeks early, and I think we're still in shock!

So here's how it went. Tuesday morning we got up and had breakfast at 8:30 with the boys. At 8:45 I was done and starting to pick up around the kitchen. Contraction. I think, That wasn't a contraction, the baby was just kicking funny. Please. A couple minutes later I had another one, but I decided not to tell Mike yet in case it was just a Braxton Hicks. By the time the next one came I told Mike I was having contractions, but I wasn't sure if I was really going into labor. They kept coming. And coming.

After about an hour and a half of throwing clothes in a bag, getting the boys ready and packed, doing the dishes, mourning the fact that there was no time to do laundry, running around like crazy people, and trying to mentally prepare myself, we headed out. We picked Sam up early from his playgroup and dropped the boys off with Grandma Grace (who had a very busy day and dropped everything to help us). We got to the hospital at 11:45 and after explaining that I go REALLY fast and was positive for GB, they put me in a delivery room right away. I was already dilated to a 5 1/2. And it was starting to hurt. The nurse showed Mike a cool way of putting pressure on my knees instead of my back, and she put pressure on my head and neck, and it really helped me through my contractions. And then I got my epidural. Heaven! The pain just stops. It's like magic. Good thing too, because Molly pulled a Sam and came out smiling (or at least looking) at the doctor. Ouch. For me. Oh, and the doctor had to pull her out with the forceps because Baby M's vitals were dropping and she was afraid I was hemorrhaging because of a placental abruption. Mike was starting to get pretty freaked out at that point. A NICU team came in and checked things out while my doctor sewed me up, and everything was fine.

Molly Grace Clayton was born January 27th (the day after her daddy's birthday) at 2:26 PM, weighed 6 lbs 3 oz, and was 18.5 inches long. And she was exactly 2 1/2 weeks early. She was so much smaller than the other babies in the nursery that the nurses were calling her Peanut. She weighed more than a pound less than the boys when they were born. Her discharge weight was 5 lbs 12 oz, but she's already starting to put weight on! She had gained 2 oz by yesterday, so things are looking good.

We got home from the hospital on Thursday, and after we were settled, Mike headed out to buy bunk beds for the boys. He put them together that night, and the next night we moved Will (and his crib...we're not giving that up yet!) into Sam's room. Sam's old bed was too wide to move the crib in also, hence the bunk beds. On Saturday we had to take Molly to the doctor, so we went to Target too to buy her some newborn stuff. She's so small that everything drowns her. All the newborn sized stuff we had was huge on her, so we had to get her something else to wear. I guess it's good that we were so unprepared, since we would have had to buy new stuff anyway.

We're so happy to have our baby girl! Sam calls her Baby Sister (but if you ask him what her name is, he'll tell you it's Molly Baby Sister Altamont Dr.). Even Will likes her (he was the one we were worried about). He says hi to her and is very gentle when he touches her. We're all still adjusting to the change, but so far things are great! And I'll get some pics on here as soon as I can, which may be in about a month. :)

9 comments:

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Wow Becki! Congrats!! What an amazing story. Glad you had enough time for the epidural, especially since she was facing the doc.

Unknown said...

Becky,
Congratulations. We are so excited and happy that things went so quickly for you. We love Molly Grace's name and can't wait to meet her and see photos. Hope you're getting some sleep.

Tawna said...

That is so great!! Congrats on the baby girl!! I'm so excited for you!!

Jami and Family said...

She is so cute but I already need to see her again! I am shocked that you had her already and am a little jealous that you get to have your body back even sooner now!! I still have to get fatter and fatter for 3 more months! Please let me bring you dinner, let me know a night that the ward isn't doing it and I would love too, also if you need me to take Sam and Will sometime PLEASE let me help any way I can! We are so excited for you and Mike! Congrats!

Stuff said...

Congratulations!!! I am so excited for you!

Us said...

Wow. At least you got to the hospital in time with this one, right? Congrats.

Christine said...

congratulations! I have been checking your blog like crazy for updates. Can't wait to see pictures and I LOVE her name!

Anonymous said...

OH happy day! Congratulations Becky. We are thrilled for you and love the name Molly Grace.

Glazier5 said...

Congrats Becky! You'll love having a little pink in your life! Hope you are all doing well. She is beautiful and I love the name!